Mission, Culture, & Values
In early 2002 these statements of Keck Graduate Institute's unique mission, its innovative culture, and the core values that underpin both were developed collaboratively by essentially all faculty, staff, and students then at KGI. We seek to embody these objectives and principles in both KGI's strategy and its every-day operations. As we gain experience, the statements will evolve and be further refined.
In October 2006, KGI's Board of Trustees approved the Code of Conduct and the Conflict of Interest Policy available below as PDF files. The principles and policies in these documents serve to guide KGI's trustees, officers, faculty and staff in their conduct of KGI's activities, and are informed by KGI's mission, culture and values.
To enrich society with breakthrough approaches to education and translational research in the life sciences.
School Mission Statements
School of Applied Life Sciences
The KGI School of Applied Life Sciences is dedicated to education and research aimed at translating into practice the power and potential of the life sciences for the benefit of society.
School of Pharmacy
The School of Pharmacy is dedicated to the education of innovative pharmacists who will serve the needs of individual patients, the healthcare system, and the bioscience industry. Our program emphasizes interprofessional collaboration, systematic problem solving, the safe, efficient and ethical use of technology and biotechnology, and personalized patient care.
Minerva Schools at KGI
The Minerva Schools at KGI are dedicated to strengthening our collective future by ensuring that the most exceptional students in the world are able to fulfill their extraordinary potential.
KGI seeks to sustain an interdisciplinary and entrepreneurial culture, working in partnership with industry to develop leaders for the biosciences, while promoting academic freedom and the highest ethical standards.
Entrepreneurial and Reflective
Ethical and Responsible
Collaborative and Independent
Interdisciplinary and Applied
KGI Values: Detailed Description
- Entrepreneurial and Reflective
- encourages experimentation
- encourages new ventures, both internal and external, and treats them as learning opportunities
- tolerates risks and accepts that some experiments fail
- acknowledges that anxiety and ambiguity often attend risk taking
- treats each member of KGI as a partner who has a role in making it a success
- remains small, agile and unbureaucratic
- challenges higher education conventions
- takes the time and effort to learn lessons from the past and to plan for the future
- encourages change that arises from self-reflection
- works actively to foster personal, professional and intellectual growth for everyone in the KGI community.
- Ethical and Responsible
- is dedicated to the highest ethical standards in all activities: learning, research, business, personal interactions, and external relations
- recognizes that potential conflicts of interest cannot always be avoided, but they can and must be openly acknowledged and carefully managed
- pursues open, honest, and frank interactions with each other and with our external partners
- is dedicated to "benefit society"
- works to raise awareness and develop innovative solutions to ethical issues facing the bioscience industry
- trusts each member of the KGI community to take responsibility for his/her own actions
- empowers all KGI members to "own" the process of their learning and professional growth and supports them in these efforts.
- Collaborative and Independent
- promotes collaboration among the KGI staff, students and faculty
- actively partners with industry, non-profits, educational and government institutions
- preserves vigorously the highest standards of academic freedom
- cooperates with other Claremont colleges to leverage strengths of these diverse institutions and the consortium
- sees team-based activities as central to learning, research and administration
- acknowledges that true collaboration requires flexibility, information sharing, frequent communication, and mutual respect.
- Interdisciplinary and Applied
- pursues integrated, cross-disciplinary research and teaching as central to KGI's mission
- avoids creation of separate academic departments that might foster isolation and discourage interdisciplinary work
- works closely with industry in all aspects of the KGI curriculum - technical, management and ethics - and through the summer internships and Team Masters Projects
- involves individuals from industry as full-time, adjunct and guest faculty members
- seeks input from industry members on the KGI Board of Trustees and Advisory Council to insure the ongoing relevance of KGI's curriculum and research directions.
- In An Interactive Learning Environment
- Encourages all members of the KGI community to continue to develop their capabilities
- Fosters discussion and debate within the classroom
- Actively involves students in the design of course offerings and seeks their feedback to foster improvements
- Dedicates itself to action learning through projects
- Seeks a multi-talented and diverse student body whose members can learn from each other.