Students in our Program: The greatest strength of our program is the students themselves. We work diligently to create a group of future physicians whose potential exceeds beyond what their current academic transcript may suggest. We seek students with strong clinical experience, integrity, interpersonal skills, collegial competence and passions beyond medicine. Just like medical schools, we evaluate each applicant holistically.
Many of our students come to KGI directly after completing their undergraduate education while others have been working and been out of school for several years. Our students come from schools across the nation. This includes schools in California such as UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, USC, Caltech, Cal State San Marcos, Cal State San Francisco, Cal State Northridge, Azusa Pacific University, Occidental College, Pomona College and out-of-state schools such as Williams College, Duke, University of Michigan, Penn State, Colorado College, Vanderbilt University, and University of Hawaii.
Student Outcomes: Our inaugural class of PPC students was admitted in fall of 2010 and because our students have the option to continue towards a master's degree, we are just now in the first complete application cycle. However, here is the preliminary information on our PPC alumni: (Updated: 7/11/13):
- Class of 2010-2011(8 students): Acceptances (3), Changed career goal (2), unknown (3)
- Class of 2011-2012 (23 students): Acceptances (11), Wait list (3), in current cycle (8), Changed career goal (1)
- Class of 2012-2013 (19 students): Acceptances (1), in current cycle (15), Changed career goal (3)
- $10,000 Research Grant from the Social Security Administration to study rare insomnia disorder
- 5 students co-authored an orphan drug designation approved by the FDA for the drug pentoxifylline for the treatment of Behçet's disease
- 50% of last year's PPC students have continued toward their master's degree at KGI
- 7 students participated in summer internship at various life science companies
- 100% of students interested in research found research opportunities
- 93% of last year's cohort that have applied after completing the PPC program has had either an interview or acceptance