535 Watson Drive
Claremont, CA 91711 Location: Building 535
Phone: (909) 607-8590
Fax: (909) 607-8086
Email: admissions[at symbol]kgi.edu
Master of Bioscience (MBS) Application Procedures
Start an Application
We encourage students to apply by the priority deadline in order to receive first consideration for available fellowships. Fellowship awards are made on the basis of merit.
Fall 2013 Entrance (August 2013)
Priority Deadline: December 15, 2012
For a printer-friendly application checklist, please use the attached Application Checklist.
1. Online Application:
The online application will require the following information:
- Personal Statement*
- Supplemental Essay**
- Recommenders Contact Information
- Educational Background
- Fellowship Application
* The Personal Statement gives you an opportunity to describe your academic, career, and personal objectives. Please limit your response to three double-spaced, typed pages.
** Discuss which focus track(s) you are most interested in and why. Please limit your response to one, double-spaced page.
2. Official Transcripts
An official transcript must be submitted for every institution of higher education that you have attended. Transcripts must be sealed and bear the original seal of the issuing institution in order to be considered official. If transcripts are not in English, an authorized and complete English translation must also be provided.
You must request recommendations from two people who can evaluate your qualifications and potential for success in our program as well as in the biosciences industry. We discourage letters submitted from a central recommendations service at your college. You can choose to use professional or academic references, or a combination.
Recommenders can submit letters through the online application system or can send letters directly to the KGI Admissions Office by using the KGI Recommendation Form.
4. Standardized Tests
We require every applicant to submit official scores from ONE of the following standardized tests:
- Graduate Records Examinations (GRE): GRE and TOEFL scores may be sent to KGI by using school code: 4166. A department code is not necessary.
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT): MCAT scores can only be sent to KGI in the form of a printout. This may be sent via e-mail or postal mail. Please be sure that your MCAT score printout includes a verification code as well as your AAMC ID.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT): GMAT scores are sent to KGI by specifying the name of our program to test administrators.
The Office of Admissions does not consider photocopies of GRE, TOEFL, or GMAT scores as official documents.
We require international students to submit official scores from one of the following tests of English language proficiency:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- PTE (Pearson's Test of English)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency)
Students who have studied at a U.S. institution for more than 2 years and those from a country where English is the primary or official language are exempt from this requirement.
A phone, Skype or on campus interview is a requirement for admission. The Office of Admissions will schedule individual interviews once your application is completed.
All admissions decisions are final for the academic year in which they are rendered.
The Admissions Committee is made up of faculty and senior administrators who will thoroughly and conscientiously review each application. Applications will be considered in the context of the total applicant pool, as well as in relationship to our general admissions standards. We do not use arbitrary grade point or test score cutoffs.
Promising applicants lacking adequate academic qualifications in mathematics and natural science may be offered conditional admission, contingent upon successful completion of additional academic work specified by the admissions committee. All such work must be completed prior to matriculation.