Contact UsStudent Engagement and Enrollment Services
535 Watson Drive
Claremont, CA 91711 Location: Building 535
Phone: (909) 607-8590
Fax: (909) 607-8086
Email: admissions[at symbol]kgi.edu
U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens are eligible to borrow student loans under the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Direct Loan Program. The following types of federal student loans are available to graduate students. Each is subject to a maximum borrowing limit per academic year:
|Federal Loan Program||Maximum Borrowing Limit per Academic Year|
|Unsubsidized Stafford Loans||
|GradPLUS||The difference between the total cost of attendance and all other scholarship and loan support. (MBS and PPM only)|
In order to borrow from any of these two types of federal student loans, students must complete the following:
- Complete FAFSA - All students interested in receiving federal aid must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). KGI's School Code is G38533. If you have already completed your current year FAFSA with another school, please add KGI's School Code.
- Complete Federal Graduate PLUS Process - The Federal Grad PLUS Loan is a credit-based loan that allows students the opportunity to borrow up to their cost of attendance, minus any financial aid received.
- Complete KGI Graduate PLUS Notification. The KGI Graduate PLUS Loan Request Form must be completed and returned to the KGI Financial Aid Office.
- Complete Entrance Counseling - Entrance counseling is required before you can receive your first federal subsidized/unsubsidized student loan, or your first PLUS loan as a graduate/professional student.
- Sign Master Promissory Note(s) - There is a separate MPN for the Unsubsidized Loans and Graduate PLUS Loans. If you are taking out a GradPLUS loan you must sign both MPN's. The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s). Unless your school does not allow more than one loan to be made under the same MPN, you can borrow additional Direct Loans on a single MPN for up to 10 years.
Once you have completed the above items you will be emailed your Financial Aid Award Letter which details the maximum borrowing amount that you are eligible for.