ALS 443: Supply Chain and Biotech Operations
Course Number: ALS 443
Course Name: Supply Chain and Biotech Operations
Year: Second year
No. Units: 1.5
400-level Technical/Business Designations: Neither
Clinical and Regulatory Affairs: Elective
This course will provide students with a strong working knowledge of supply chain strategy and tactics including business supply chain requirements, core supply chain process design and operations, supply chain performance management and supply partner collaboration. The commercial biotech operations module will include two sessions learning capacity planning and schedule modeling using the computer program SuperPro, in addition guest lecturers from operations roles within the biotech industry will cover biotech commercial operations focus areas. Upon completion of the course, students will be in a position to provide prospective employers with commercial biotech operational knowledge and the ability to engage in supply chain development, improvement and daily management capacities. Students will also receive a certificate of completion for the supply chain training.
- The students will understand the detailed schema of the end-to-end supply chain value stream including, supply chain definition, supply chain value stream design, common performance issues inherent in most supply chains, customer segmentation and profitability analysis, key supply chain goals including collaboration, velocity, VOC integration and synchronization, supply chain strategy impacts including customer service and new product development, and cost and financial impacts of supply chain design and execution
- The students will understand the core supply chain value stream processes including strategic sourcing and supplier integration, new product development, logistics and transportation management, integrated manufacturing and Lean production, outbound logistics and customer-centric distribution center operations, and enterprise-wide/Supply chain value stream materials management and deployment
- The students will understand how to effectively performance-manage the supply chain in a manner profitably aligned with VOC. Key concepts and processes include: sales and operations planning, supplier development, key process metrics and Lean waste-free operations, minimum financial performance and margin attainment via sound supply chain decisions, and financial and operational efficiency trade-offs inherent in supply chain design options
- The students will learn how to use basic SuperPro for biotech applications such as scheduling and capacity management.
- Students will learn about case studies in operations from experts in the biotech field.
As this is a pass/no pass course, students must attend all course events and participate as directed to achieve a passing grade. Any absences must be excused by the course instructor and make up material may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor.