ALS 452: Healthcare Economics
Course Number: ALS 452
Course Name: Healthcare Economics
No. Units: 1.5
Faculty/Instructor(s): Moonkyung Kate Choi
400-level Technical/Business Designations: Business
Business of Bioscience: Elective
Pharmaceutical Discovery and Development: Elective
This course provides a brief introduction to how economic principles explain the allocation of resources in the healthcare system. This will include both general principles and recent efforts (both successful and failed) at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare delivery.
At the end of the course, the students should understand:
- Key economic principles that predict the supply, demand and consumption of healthcare;
- Competing interests between patients, providers, producers and payers;
- How efficiency and value are used to prioritize health expenditures;
- The pricing of healthcare products and services;
- The intended and likely impact of recent reform efforts.