Ilya Tolstorukov, PhD, DScResearch Professor
Areas of Expertise
Pichia pastoris, P.methanolica, Hansenula polymorpha, S.cerevisiae, Yeast Molecular Biology, Microbial Genetics and Biotechnology, Regulation of Gene Expression, Control of Mating Type in Yeasts, Yeast Lipid Metabolism, Genomics, Recombination, Expression of Recombinant Proteins, Production of Antibodies in *P.pastoris*, Isothermal DNA Amplification, Biology and Genetics of Methylotrophic Yeasts
2001–Present: Research Professor, Senior Research Scientist, Visiting Scientist, SALS, KGI.
2008–Present: Founder, Principal Scientist, Biogrammatics, Inc, Carlsbad, CA.
1991–2002: Section Head, Professor, Section for Genetics of Methylotrophic Yeasts, State Research Institute of Genetics and Selection of Industrial Microorganisms, Moscow, Russia.
1997–1998: Visiting Professor, International Center of Biotechnology, Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan.
1995: Visiting Scientist, Laboratory for Electron Microscopy, Biological Centre, University of Groningen, Haren, The Netherlands.
1989–1990: Visiting Scientist, Laboratory of Eukaryotic Gene Expression, Frederick Cancer Research Facility, National Cancer Research Institute, Frederick, MD, USA
1969-1991: Junior Research Scientist, Senior Research Scientist, Leading Scientist, Group Leader, All-Union Research Institute of Genetics and Selection of Industrial Microorganisms (VNII Genetika), Moscow, USSR
- Selected Publications
- G.Naumov, I.Tolstorukov. 1973. Comparative genetics of yeasts. Communication 10. Re-identification of mutators of mating types in Saccharomyces. Soviet Genetics, v.9, No.1, 82-91.
- I.Tolstorukov, T.Dutova, S.Benevolensky, Ya.Soom. 1977. Hybridization and genetic analysis of methanol-utilizing yeast Pichia pinus. Soviet Genetics, v.13, N.2, 322-329.
- I.Tolstorukov, S.Benevolensky. 1982. Genetic control of cell type and complex organization of the mating type locus in the yeast Pichia pinus. Current Genetics, 5, 137-142.
- K.Lahthev, Y.Semenova, I.Tolstorukov, I.Van der Klei, M.Veenhuis. 2002. Isolation and properties of genetically defined strains of the methylotrophic yeast Hansenula polymorpha CBS4732. Arch. Microbiol., 177, 150-158.
- G.Lin-Cereghino, L.Godfrey et al. 2006. Mxr1p: a key regulator of the methanol-utilization pathway and peroxisomal genes in Pichia pastoris. Mol. and Cell Biol., V.26, No. 3, 883-897.
- A.J.Sunga, I.Tolstorukov and J.M.Cregg. 2008. Post-transformational vector amplification in the yeast Pichia pastoris. FEMS Yeast Res. 8, 870-876.
- J.M.Cregg, I.I.Tolstorukov, A.Kusari, J.Sunga, K.Madden, T.Chappell. 2009. Expression in the yeast Pichia pastoris. Review. Methods Enzymol. 463, 169-189.
- T.M. Ferguson, K.M. Weigel et al. 2016. Pilot study of a rapid and minimally instrumented sputum sample preparation method for molecular diagnosis of tuberculosis. Sci Rep. 20, 6:19541. doi: 10.1038/srep19541.
- F. Cerini, H. Gaertner et al. 2016. A scalable low-cost cGMP process for clinical grade production of the HIV inhibitor 5P12-RANTES in Pichia pastoris. Protein Expr Purif. 119:1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.pep.2015.10.011.
- L. Sturmberger, T.G. Chappell, et al. 2016. Refined Pichia pastoris reference sequence. J Biotechnol. S0168-1656(16)30203-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiotec.2016.04.023.
In 1973, Dr. Tolstorukov was the first to discover genetic elements of the system that controls mating-type switching in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. He also was the first to initiate genetic and molecular biology studies in methylotrophic yeasts in 1975 with Pichia methanolica. Since 2001 Dr. Tolstorukov has conducted academic and applied research at KGI with Pichia pastoris. He is focused on improvement of the Pichia expression platform for manufacturing of proteins, including such therapeutic proteins as monoclonal antibodies. He developed a number of Pichia strains used by industry for manufacturing animal feed enzymes.
- I.Tolstorukov, T.Prosvirova, et al. 1993. Strain of Candida utilis for production of single cell protein. Certificate of Invention (Russia), RU N 93019585.
- J.Cregg, J.Latham, M.Litton, R.Schatzman, I.Tolstorukov. 2011. Methods of synthesizing heteromultimeric polypeptides in yeast using a haploid mating strategy. US Patents 7927863, 8268582 and 8709756.
- J.Cregg, I.Tolstorukov. 2012. P. pastoris ADH promoter and use thereof to direct expression of proteins. US patent 8222386.
- J.Cregg, I.Tolstorukov. 2014. Novel P. pastoris promoters, and the use thereof to direct expression of proteins in yeast, preferably using a haploid mating strategy. US Patent 8785613.
|Ilya Tolstorukov, PhD, DSc|
|Location:||Building 535, Room 100|