- CSS = clinical skills series - courses will focus on the development of patient interaction skills and are offered as longitudinal courses presented over the semester.
- IPPE/APPE = Introductory Pharmacy Practice Education/Advanced Pharmacy Practice Education - courses that are designated experiential and will take place off campus in a variety of pharmacy practice settings.
- PDS = professional development series - courses teach students how to be professionals, expose them to career options, and teach them job seeking skills and are offered as longitudinal courses presented over the semester.
- SSS = sequential science series - courses will be offered 1 at a time in a block or concentrated fashion. Once completed, the students will move to the next course in the sequence.
- PTMM = Pharmacotherapy and Medication Management (Credit hours are assigned with the general rule that 15 class hours are equivalent to one semester hour, 3 laboratory hours are equivalent to one class hour, and 40 experiential hours are equivalent to one semester hour).
* = courses offered in a concentrated modular format.
E=courses that are designated experiential and will take place off campus in a variety of pharmacy practice settings.
(Semester/credit hours are assigned with the general rule that 15 class hours are equivalent to one semester/credit hour, 3 laboratory hours are equivalent to one class hour, and 40 experiential hours are equivalent to one semester/credit hour).
- First Professional Year
Course Number Course Title Fall Credit Hours Spring Credit Hours PHAR 301* SSS1: Fundamentals of Drug Action and Drug Metabolism 3 PHAR 302* SSS2: Principles of Pharmacology and Toxicology 3 PHAR 310* SSS3: Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 3 PHAR 320* SSS4: Health Care Delivery 2 PHAR 311 Pharmaceutical Calculations 2 PHAR 330 CSS1: Scientific Inquiry — Intro to Drug Info and Statistics and IPE PBL 2 PHAR 340 CSS2: Communication, Concepts in Diversity, Immunizations and Self-Care 2 PHAR 350 PDS1: Professional Development 1 2 PHAR 303* SSS5: Genetic Control of Cell Structure and Function, Genes, and Pharmacogenomics 4.5 PHAR 304* SSS6: Metabolism of Carbohydrates, Lipids and Amino acids 3 PHAR 305* SSS7: Anti-diabetic, Endocrine, GI and GU Pharmacology and Medicinal Chemistry 3 PHAR 321 Pharmacy Law and Ethics 2 PHAR 370 Introduction to the Industry 2 PHAR 331 CSS3: Scientific Inquiry-Biostatistics and IPE PBL 2 PHAR 341 CSS4: Epidemiology, Health Disparity, Patient Advocacy Motivational Interviewing, and Self Care 2 PHAR 351 PDS2: Professional Development 2 1
Total Fall Credit Hours: 19, Total Spring Credit Hours: 19.5
- Second Professional Year
Course Number Course Title Hours Fall Credit Hours Spring Credit Hours PHAR 410* SSS8: Pharmacokinetics 3 PHAR 401* SSS9: Cardiovascular/Renal Pharm. and Med. Chemistry 3 PHAR 402* SSS10: Neuropharmacology and Medicinal Chemistry 3 PHAR 420* SSS11: Pharmacy Management 2 PHAR 430 Intro to Pharmacy Informatics 2 PHAR 431 CSS5: Lit. Evaluation and Clinical Trial Design 1 PHAR 440 CSS6: IPE PBL, Patient Assessment, and Self-Care I 2 PHAR 450 PDS3: Professional Development 3 1 PHAR 471E IPPE 1 - Community Pharmacy Practice 128 3 PHAR 403* SSS12: Immunology/Oncology Pharm. and Medicinal Chemistry 2 PHAR 404* SSS13: Anti-Infectives Pharm. and Medicinal Chemistry 1.5 PHAR 405* SSS14: PTMM — Principles of Pharmacotherapy & Fluids, Electrolytes, Nephrology 3 PHAR 406* SSS15: PTMM — Cardiology 4 PHAR 411 CSS7: Sterile Products 1.5 PHAR 421 Pharmacoeconomics and Pharmacovigilance 2 PHAR 441 CSS8: IPE PBL, Patient Assessment, and Self-Care II 2 PHAR 451 PDS4: Professional Development 4 1 PHAR 472E IPPE 2 -Patient Communication in Senior Chronic Care 80 2
Total Hours: 208, Total Fall Credit Hours: 20, Total Spring Credit Hours: 19
- Third Professional Year
Course Number Course Title Hours Fall Credit Hours Spring Credit Hours PHAR 501* SSS16: PTMM — Gastroenterology 3 PHAR 502* SSS17: PTMM — Endocrinology and Urology 3 PHAR 503* SSS18: PTMM — Neurology and Psychiatry 4 PHAR 550 PDS5: Professional Development 5: IPE Clinic 1 PHAR 571E IPPE 3 Health Systems Pharmacy Practice 120 3 PHAR 504* SSS19: PTMM — Pulmonology and Ophthalmology 1 PHAR 505* SSS20: PTMM — Immunology and Rheumatology 2 PHAR 506* SSS21: PTMM — Infectious Disease 4 PHAR 507* SSS22: PTMM — Hematology/Oncology 3 PHAR 551 PDS6: Professional Development 6: IPE Clinic 1 PHAR 572E IPPE 4 Concentration Elective 120 3
Total Hours: 240, Total Fall Credit Hours: 20, Total Spring Credit Hours: 20, Fall Electives: 6, Spring Electives: 6
- Fourth Professional Year
Course Number Course Title Hours Fall Credit Hours Spring Credit Hours PHAR 600*E Advanced Community Practice APPE 240 6 PHAR 601*E Advanced Health-System Practice APPE 240 6 PHAR 602*E Ambulatory Care APPE 240 6 PHAR 603*E Acute Care APPE 240 6 PHAR 610*E Patient Care Elective APPE 240 6 PHAR 620-623*E Elective APPE 480 12 PHAR 640 Pharmacy Capstone Seminar 2
Total Hours: 1680, Total Fall Credit Hours: 24, Total Spring Credit Hours: 20
Upon the completion of study at KGI’s School of Pharmacy, the student will be proficient in the Professional Student Outcomes (PSOs). The PSOs are the academic knowledge, skills, and attitudes that a pharmacy graduate should possess.
Download the Professional Student Outcomes (PSOs) document.