The School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences will prepare graduates who are leaders among healthcare professionals dedicated to the delivery of advanced personally-optimized patient care and the translation of applied and clinical science breakthroughs to enhance the quality of life. We will advance pharmacy for the benefit of society through the development of innovative, collaborative, culturally-competent, articulate, and caring pharmacists.
The School of Pharmacy is dedicated to the education of innovative pharmacists who will serve the needs of individual patients, the healthcare system, and the bioscience industry. Our program emphasizes interprofessional collaboration, systematic problem solving, the safe, efficient and ethical use of technology and biotechnology, and personalized patient care.
The goals of the KGI School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences are to:
- Recruit, retain, and educate highly qualified students with diverse backgrounds, who will be professional, motivated, ethical and culturally-sensitive leaders.
- Recruit, develop and retain highly qualified faculty with diverse background, who will be leaders in education, scholarship, research, patient care and professional service.
- Use innovative and active techniques to provide an academic program that fosters critical thinking, problem-solving, clinical reasoning, and self-directed learning skills.
- Collaborate with leaders of the bioscience industry to inform curricular development to provide graduates with cutting edge knowledge and skills to advance the practice.
- Prepare graduates to utilize pharmacogenomics, operations management, informatics and technology to practice effectively in a wide variety of currently existing and potential future roles in hospitals and medical centers, community pharmacy settings, academia, government and the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Produce graduates who can communicate effectively with patients, caregivers, and health care, regulatory and industrial professionals.
- Promote interprofessional education and cooperation among pharmacy, healthcare professionals, and other biopharmaceutical professionals.
- Sustain a culture of professionalism and collegiality in relationships among and between faculty, students and professionals.
- Demonstrate a commitment to minimizing health and educational disparities in underrepresented communities and show sensitivity to the needs of a diverse community.
- Develop and maintain a research infrastructure that promotes collaboration, innovation, and discovery in the educational, basic, translational, clinical and computational sciences to enhance health care.
- In addition to the Pharm.D. degree, provide graduate education programs in the pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences leading to certificates, residencies, fellowships, MS and Ph.D. degrees, and other professional degrees.
- Promote life-long learning, through participation in professional development, organizations, and publications.
- Utilize continuous quality improvement through assessment and evaluation of desired outcomes in all phases of the program.
The SPHS will strive to produce graduates who will promote innovation in diverse practice arenas to benefit society. This can be done by focusing on the shared values of our program.
We believe in:
- A Culture of Assessment
- Strategic Planning-Driven Program
- An Interactive Learning Environment
- Collaborative Interactions and Independent Growth
- Reflective Development
- Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Entrepreneurial Approach to Practice
- Ethical and Responsible Behaviors
- Interdisciplinary Translational and Applied Research
- Shared Governance