Students in the Master of Science in Human Genetics and Genomic Data Analytics (MSGDA) will benefit from foundational coursework in human genetics, cutting edge courses in the applied life sciences, and an innovative human genomics curriculum that combine to prepare them for the exciting field of genomic data analytics.
The first year of study will provide a solid foundation in human genetics and genomics, medical genetics, bioinformatics, and an introduction to working in the bioscience industry and clinical settings. Students will also learn about clinical trial design and data systems used in the bioscience industry and will gain hands-on laboratory experience by generating and manipulating next generation sequencing data in preparation for a summer industry internship.
In the second year, students will build upon their internship experience with in-depth courses in next generation sequencing technologies, genetic variant interpretation, and genomic data visualization. Emerging topics in genomics, such as pharmacogenomics and metagenomics, will be presented, and a significant portion of time will be devoted to preparing an industry-sponsored capstone project or a research thesis.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to utilize their foundation in genetics and genomics along with a practical knowledge of data analytics and industry experience to be able to translate patient sequencing data into actionable clinical recommendations and bridge the gap between research scientists and clinical practitioners.
This unique program gives students an opportunity to work side-by-side with future genetic counselors and applied life scientists while gaining hands-on experience with the technologies and information that are revolutionizing the future of medicine.
Why Pursue a Degree in Genomic Data Analytics at KGI?
- Join the growing field of genomics and help create effective and appropriate treatment for patients
- Learn to harness the power of Big Data to help patients through personalized precision medicine
- Distinguish yourself on the job market through team project experiences with genetics companies
- Understand how emerging companies like 23andMe.com and ancestry.com translate genotype data
- Help people on a large scale by improving clinical results
- Be at the forefront of next-generation sequencing technology
- Experience inter-professional education through collaboration with students from other KGI programs
- Combine your passions to make a broad-scale impact in the world of genetics and genomics