To return to a previously started application, click here.
An online application form is required that contains questions about your personal and educational background. Additional requirements (below) can be submitted along with your online application or separately:
- Personal Statement
- Please provide a brief statement of why you are interested in conducting summer research at KGI. Please also describe what you would like to do once you complete your undergraduate degree.
- Supplemental Essay
- Please briefly describe which scientific areas you are most interested in and why. Please refer to the list of available summer research projects here.
- Letter of Recommendation
- Contact information for one recommender is required during the online application process. This person should be able to evaluate your qualification and potential for success in our program. You can choose to use a professional or academic reference. Only one recommendation is required but additional recommendations may be submitted if desired.
- Recommenders will be contacted via email to submit their recommendation online. If they prefer otherwise they can email or mail a copy to the Admissions Office along with this recommendation form.
- Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for evaluation purposes. Official transcripts are not required for admission but may be substituted for unofficial transcripts for admission review.
All completed applications will be reviewed after the March 1 deadline. We take a holistic look at each applicant, and place great importance on letters of recommendation and your personal statement. We will strive to notify you about the status of your application as soon as possible.
Thanks to the generous grant support from The Kenneth T. and Eileen L. Norris Foundation, each SURE participant will receive a $500 scholarship. The SURE program is not an academic degree program and does not charge participants for their summer research experience at KGI. Therefore, the $500 scholarship is considered taxable income, and each participant may receive an IRS 1099 form. For more information, please contact a professional tax advisor or review the IRS publication.