2020 Dates: June 22 – July 24
The pharmaceutical and other biomedical industries require an understanding of both business and science to bring lifesaving technologies to market. Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) in Claremont, CA, offers the Careers Beyond the Bench program to provide skills and professional development opportunities for undergraduates interested in careers in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, or other biomedical product industries. During this challenging and fun five-week summer program, participants will learn about bioscience business skills and career opportunities, providing an edge for careers beyond the bench in these science-based industries.
- Gain expertise in bioscience business
- KGI faculty and invited industry guests will teach participants about the organization of the bioscience industries and strategies used by companies in the industry to translate scientific discoveries into commercial projects. Participants will learn how to evaluate the commercial attractiveness of scientific research. These skills will be put to use in a team-based consulting project, in which teams of students will evaluate the technical and commercial feasibility of a recently discovered bioscience technology.
- Learn about careers in the bioscience industries
- Invited talks and workshops will be held with scientists and managers from the bioscience industries. Participants will learn about the activities of bioscience companies in different fields, ranging from drug discovery, medical diagnostics, and medical devices. Participants will also learn about a wide range of career opportunities within the bioscience industries and have an opportunity to interact with alumni from KGI that are currently working in industry.
- Participate on a real-world bioscience business research project
- Teams of students will be paired with KGI faculty to work on a real-world bioscience business project. These projects will allow participants to take a deeper dive into the strategies used by bioscience industry companies. At the end of the summer, participants will have an opportunity to present their findings to an audience of KGI faculty, students, and invited guests.
Who Should Apply?
The program is designed for undergraduate students interested in learning about the bioscience industries. We welcome applications from science majors as well as economics, business, or other social science majors that have a strong interest in science-based industries.
This program is offered at no cost, but participants are responsible for covering housing and meal expenses. Participants who complete the program will receive a $500 stipend.
Interested in Grad School? Learn About KGI’s Master of Business and Science Program