The pharmaceutical and other biomedical industries require an understanding of both business and science to bring lifesaving technologies to market. Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) in Claremont, CA, offers the Careers Beyond the Bench program to provide skills and professional development opportunities for undergraduates interested in careers in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, or other biomedical product industries.
During this challenging and fun three-week summer program, participants will learn about business skills and career opportunities in the biomedical sector, providing an edge for careers beyond the bench in these science-based industries.
- Gain expertise in bioscience business
- KGI faculty and invited industry guests will teach participants about the organization of the bioscience industries and strategies used by companies in the industry to translate scientific discoveries into commercial projects. Students will learn about drug pricing, intellectual property, market assessment, and other business aspects of the bioscience industries.
- Learn about careers in the bioscience industries
- Talks and workshops will be held with scientists and managers from the bioscience industries. Participants will learn about the activities of bioscience companies in different fields, ranging from drug discovery, medical diagnostics, and medical devices. Participants will also learn about a wide range of career opportunities within the bioscience industries and have an opportunity to interact with alumni from KGI that are currently working in industry.
- Participate on a team-based bioscience business research project
- Teams of students will work with KGI faculty to evaluate and propose a solution to a real-life biomedical need. These projects will allow participants to take a deeper dive into the strategies used by bioscience industry companies. At the end of the program participants will have an opportunity to present their findings to a panel of KGI faculty.
Download the Program Info Sheet
Updated Online Program for Summer 2020
For the summer of 2020, Careers Beyond the Bench program will be taught entirely online. The program will be offered in a shorter, three-week format, and will be offered twice. Students can participate in the program from any location across the world, but must be available to participate in synchronous online sessions from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time.
- Session #1: June 15 – July 3, 2020
- Session #2: July 6 – July 24, 2020
Who Should Apply?
The program is designed for undergraduate students interested in learning about the bioscience industries. We welcome applications from science majors as well as economics, business, or other social science majors that have a strong interest in science-based industries. KGI welcomes applications from international students.
- June 1 for Session #1
- June 15 for Session #2
This program is offered at no cost, but participants are responsible for having a personal computer with broadband Internet access.
Interested in Grad School? Learn About KGI’s Master of Business and Science Program