This course is designed around four broad themes: effective writing, oral communication, teamwork and leadership. Classes will be a blend of interactive lectures from faculty and industry executives, and workshops. Oral and written exercises will be coordinated with individual and team projects in ALS 320 and ALS 359, and students will participate in faculty and peer reviews to help each other improve professional skills.
After completion of this course students should:
1) Effectively communicate technical concepts to executives, peers, employees and lay audiences.
2) Understand team dynamics and be able to deal with conflicts and issues that arise during projects.
3) Understand the different roles and responsibilities required for effective project management.
4) Understand business etiquette and ethical practices necessary for a successful career in industry
5) Understand the personal and professional skills that need to be further developed to be an effective leader and team player.