This course provides an overview of the principles of pharmaceutical pricing and reimbursement. Students will gain an understanding of basic pharmaceutical pricing principles and the unique constraints of private and public reimbursement. The course will focus on the role of value in pharmaceutical pricing, the role of price and reimbursement in medical decision making, and the implications for payers, physicians, and patients.
The course will include a combination of lecture, discussion, case discussion and guest speakers.
After completing this course, students should understand:
- Basic pricing principles and how pharmaceutical pricing is different
- Pricing flow and terminology
- The role of value in pharmaceutical pricing
- The role of price in medical decision making
- The role of reimbursement in pricing
- The impact of government involvement in pharmaceutical industry
- The process for new products pricing and managing the pricing strategy process