Many members of the Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (SPHS) faculty, along with a number of students in the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program, attended the California Society of Health-System Pharmacists (CSHP) 2018 Seminar in San Diego, CA from Oct. 4-7.
“The diversity of educational, professional development, mentorship, and networking opportunities make this a ‘can’t miss’ conference for students, residents, and pharmacists interested or practicing in health systems pharmacy,” said KGI Assistant Professor of Clinical Sciences David Ha, a member of the Seminar planning committee.
From winning awards to presenting posters to competing in competitions, KGI was involved in a myriad of activities during the weekend.
“Multiple KGI faculty delivered platform presentations on pharmacogenomics, psychiatry, law, and informatics,” said Tania Stewart, KGI assistant professor of clinical sciences and Seminar planning member.
“KGI students were also able to attend the Residency Showcase where they had a chance to learn more about California post-graduate residency programs and have one-on-one conversations with current residents and residency directors.”
Additionally, KGI’s Office of Alumni Support sponsored a reception during the Seminar, which was attended by approximately 75 SPHS students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
KGI at the CSHP Seminar:
- Multiple platform and poster presentations (see full lists below)
- David Ha and Tania Stewart were on the CSHP seminar planning committee and coordinated the Clinical Skills Competition
- Student Jennifer Nguyen won the Student Leadership Award
- Daniel Kudo selected as the Distinguished Service Award recipient
- The KGI student team of Keith Suehiro and Russle Benson (PharmD, ‘19) advanced to the presentation finals in the Clinical Skills Competition
- Christine Cadiz served as a Clinical Skills Competition faculty judge and assisted in the Quiz Bowl
- Samit Shah presented at CSHP pharmacogenomics certificate program
- Bernard Tyrrell represented the PharmD Fellowship Program
- David Ha supported the Pomona Valley Hospital MC residency program at the residency showcase
- Reception sponsored by the Office of Alumni Support featured nearly 75 attendees
Title: Opioid Safety: Focus on Furnishing Nalaxone
Speaker: Talia Puzantian
Title: Pharmacists and Technicians: Advocates for Improving Clinical Decision Support
Speaker: Armen Simonian
Title: 2018 Pharmacy Law Update
Co-speaker: Robert Stein
Title: The Value Equation: Emergency Department Clinical Pharmacist Services
Co-speakers: Adrienne Kercsak; Henry Lederer
Controlling Cholesterol: Beyond Statins
Co-speaker: Rebecca Tran
Title: Using Interprofessional Education to Teach Roles, Responsibilities and Stereotypes in Healthcare
Presenters: Sara Low, Tania Steward, David Ha
Title: Impact of Adherence with Get with The Guidelines-Heart Failure® Achievement Measures on 30-Day Hospital Readmission
Presenters: Kristina Joo with other KGI students
Title: We Heart Sugar Study: Cardiovascular Disease & Diabetes Services offered By Community Pharmacies
Presenters: Rebekah Trules, Annie Pham, Sally Huston, David Ha
Title: A Sustainable Group Mentoring Program for Pharmacy Students
Presenter: Daniel Kudo
Title: Impact of Pharmacy APPE Students on TPN Pharmacy Protocol and Patient Care at Desert Valley Hospital
Presenters: Dane Osmond, Joseph Matta
Title: Naloxone Training in Us Schools and Colleges of Pharmacy
Presenters: KGI’s California Pharmacy Student Leadership Program