Dr. Hu Zhang received his PhD in Biochemical Engineering from the Department of Biochemical Engineering at University College London in 2004. He continued his postdoctoral research at University College London from 2004-2006 and at the Institute of Science and Technology in Medicine at Keele University in the UK from 2006-2009. In March 2009, he took a lectureship at the University of Adelaide in Australia to develop the Pharmaceutical Engineering program in the School of Chemical Engineering. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in January 2014. He joined KGI in April 2018 as a Professor in Bioprocessing.
A complete list of publications can be found on Dr. Zhang’s google scholar profile.
- Xiaolin Cui, Junnan Tang, Yusak Hartanto, Jiabin Zhang, Jingxiu Bi, Sheng Dai, Shi Zhang Qiao, Ke Cheng, and Hu Zhang, NIPAM-based Microgel Microenvironment Regulates the Therapeutic Function of Cardiac Stromal Cells, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2018 10 (44), 37783-37796
- Xiaolin Cui, Yusak Hartanto, Chengtie Wu, Jingxiu Bi, Sheng Dai, Hu Zhang, Tuning microenvironment for multicellular spheroid formation in thermo‐responsive anionic microgel scaffolds, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2018 Nov;106(11):2899-2909. doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.36479.
- Zhang, Jiabin; Yun, Seonho; Bi, Jingxiu; Dai, Sheng; Du, Yuguang; Zannettino, Andrew CW; Zhang, Hu; Enhanced multi-lineage differentiation of human mesenchymal stem/stromal cells within poly (N-isopropylacrylamide-acrylic acid) microgel-formed three-dimensional constructs, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2018, 6:1799-1814
- Cai, H., Wang, X., Zhang, H., Sun, L., Pan, D., Gong, Q., . . . Luo, K. (2018). Enzyme-sensitive biodegradable and multifunctional polymeric conjugate as theranostic nanomedicine. Applied Materials Today, 11, 207-218.
- Afshin Karami, Hu Zhang, Victoria G Pederick, Christopher A McDevitt, Mohammad Sharear Kabir, Song Xu, Paul Munroe, Zhifeng Zhou, Zonghan Xie, Cr–Ag coatings: synthesis, microstructure and antimicrobial properties, Surface Engineering, 2018: 10.1080/02670844.2018.1537082
- Zhenyu Duan, Hao Cai, Hu Zhang, Kai Chen, Ning Li, Zhuping Xu, Qiyong Gong, Kui Luo, PEGylated Multi-Stimuli Responsive Dendritic Prodrug-Based Nanoscale System for Enhanced Anticancer Activity, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2018 10(42):35770-35783
- Farivar, F., Zhang, H., Tian, Z., Qi, G., & Lukas, S. (2018). Capturing particle-particle interactions for cylindrical fibrous particles in different flow regimes. Powder Technology, 330, 418-424.
- Ou, Y., Chen, K., Cai, H., Zhang, H., Gong, Q., Wang, J., . . . Luo, K. (2018). Enzyme/pH-sensitive polyHPMA-DOX conjugate as a biocompatible and efficient anticancer agent. Biomaterials Science, 6(5), 1177-1188.
- Chen, K., Liao, S., Guo, S., Zhang, H., Cai, H., Gong, Q., . . . Luo, K. (2018). Enzyme/pH-sensitive dendritic polymer-DOX conjugate for cancer treatment. Science China Materials, 61(11), 1462-1474.
- Radoniqi, Flaka; Zhang, Hu; Bardliving, Cameron L; Shamlou, Parviz; Coffman, Jon; Computational fluid dynamic (CFD) modeling of alternating tangential flow (ATF) filtration for perfusion cell culture, Biotechnology and bioengineering, 2018, 115(11):2751-2759
- Tang, J., Cui, X., Caranasos, T., Hensley, M., Vandergriff, A., Hartanto, Y., . . . Cheng, K. (2017). Heart Repair Using Nanogel-Encapsulated Human Cardiac Stem Cells in Mice and Pigs with Myocardial Infarction. ACS nano, 11(10), 9738-9749.
- Misson, M., Jin, B., & Zhang, H. (2017). Recirculating Spiral Bioreactor for Galactooligosaccharide Production Using Polymer Nanofiber-β-galactosidase Assembly. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 56(44), 12479-12487.
- Ross-Naylor, J., Mijajlovic, M., Zhang, H., & Biggs, M. (2017). Characterizing the switching transitions of an adsorbed peptide by mapping the potential energy surface. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 121(51), 11455-11464.
- Mellati, A., Fan, C., Tamayol, A., Annabi, N., Dai, S., Bi, J., . . . Zhang, H. (2017). Microengineered 3D cell-laden thermoresponsive hydrogels for mimicking cell morphology and orientation in cartilage tissue engineering. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 114(1), 217-231.
- Cui, X., Zhang, H., & Hartanto, Y. (2017). Advances in multicellular spheroids formation. Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 14(127), 15 pages.
- Kiamahalleh, M., Mellati, A., Madani, S., Pendleton, P., Zhang, H., & Madani, S. (2017). Smart Carriers for Controlled Drug Delivery: Thermosensitive Polymers Embedded in Ordered Mesoporous Carbon. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 106(6), 1545-1552.
- Zhang, B., Zhang, H., Dai, S., & Bi, J. (2017). Cell-penetrating peptide-labelled smart polymers for enhanced gene delivery. Engineering in Life Sciences, 17(2), 193-203.
- Han, M., Chen, M., Ebendorff-Heidepriem, H., Fang, C., Qin, A., Zhang, H., . . . Ruan, Y. (2016). An optical fibre sensor for remotely detecting water traces in organic solvents. RSC Advances, 6(85), 82186-82190.
- Cui, X., Dini, S., Dai, S., Bi, J., Binder, B., Green, J., & Zhang, H. (2016). A mechanistic study on tumour spheroids formation in thermosensitive hydrogels: experiments and mathematical modelling. RSC Advances, 6(77), 73282-73291.
- Misson, M., Dai, S., Jin, B., Chen, B., & Zhang, H. (2016). Manipulation of nanofiber-based β-galactosidase nanoenvironment for enhancement of galacto-oligosaccharide production. Journal of Biotechnology, 222, 56-64.
Dr. Zhang’s research focuses on applying emerging techniques to biological processes and systems to produce valuable biological or chemical products. He has three active research themes: tissue engineering and regenerative medicine; bioprocessing; and process simulation, model;ing, and detection. The themes are closely correlated, and emerging techniques for optical detection, bioreactor design, material-protein interaction, and material-cell interactions have been applied to biotechnological processes or tissue engineering, while process simulation, modelling, and modelling monitor the process in-silico or in-line/online to enhance understanding of the complex bioprocessing in cell culture or tissue regeneration process.
Ongoing research projects
- Smart/intelligent biomaterials/systems for tissue regeneration
- Smart/intelligent biomaterials for drug and gene delivery
- Continuous bioprocessing
- Antibacterial coating and nanocomposites
- Optical detection of chemical toxins, pathogenic bacteria and metabolites in bioprocessing
- Computational fluid dynamics-Discrete Element Modelling for pharmaceutical particulate process